Thursday, September 18, 2014

Doldrums: eBay ups and downs

The last two weeks have been so-so with regards to eBay. What I have discovered is that listing daily DOES stimulate sales. Two weeks ago, I slowed down on my listing and my sales reflected it. This week, I start red my daily listing of at least 5 items, and already the cha-chings are happening.

 

Last week, we were busy researching vehicles to purchase and making trips to dealerships to try and drive. Most of my free time was spent on the internet communicating with different dealers and haggling over prices before we even visited the dealerships. It was a bit exhausting! We did finally find the vehicles we liked and purchased them. So glad that ordeal is over!

 

Now, let's talk about eBay stuff!!

 

 

This is a game I purchased at GW for $1.99. Games by Avalon Hill have a lot of pieces and as games they sell pretty well. When I bought it, it was open and I knew I would have to count pieces. When I opened the box and saw how many pieces there were, I actually thought about taking it back!!

 

But, I did a little research on completeds and saw that the game pieces were selling. There are 9 ( or 10, I will have to double check!) countries represented in this game and each country has approximately 65 pieces.

 

I broke each set down into 20 piece sets which provided three sets per country.

 

Each set is priced at 15.99 (free ship). Surprisingly, three sets of game pieces have already sold!! A customer in California bought one set about two weeks ago, and just yesterday he bought two more!

 

Just this morning I had another from this game. These are all the tokens that are included. I counted them and at the time I thought I was wasting my time!

 

Sold for $29.99 ( free shipping)

Needless to say, I am pleasantly surprised! I have bought a couple more games at GW and have listed parts and pieces of them as well. This may become a serious niche for my store.

 

These backgammon pieces are from a vintage 1973 Plesantime game.

I don't know of they will sell as quickly as the Axis and Allies game pieces, but it is worth a shot.

 

 

Here are a few pictures of a Monopoly game I bought this weekend. The game is from 1961 and it is in Arabic.

 

At first I was pretty excited to find it and instantly threw it in the cart and bought it. Then when I got it home, I figured out that it was missing the deed cards! Duh!!

I don't think that there is much money to be made on the remaining pieces so I will probably be taking it back to GW.

 

 

 

I have a few more games to part out and list. Truth be told, it is therapeutic to separate and coordinate the pieces.

 

Happy Thrifting!!

 

  • Do you part out games and sell the pieces?

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Axis Allies looks like a really interesting game. I've never seen or heard of it, but now I will be on the hunt to find one. How did you know how many pieces the game was supposed to have? I understand the therapy of laying out all those little pieces. lol. It's just like when I did Lego. Wish I could find some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine,

      I did not know how many items were suppose to be in each country's box, but by the time I counted a couple of countries I figured that all the pieces were there.

      I am not comfortable selling a game unless it is sealed. I am more comfortable selling the pieces of a game. That way I know exactly how many pieces are in the listing.

      I always thought that Avalon Hill games were vintage. I was surprised to find that they are still making games. When I saw this game at GW, I was drawn by the graphics and the heavy quality of the box. It was only after I bought it home did I discover it was an Avalon Hill game.

      I definitely was thinking of you when I was separating and counting the game pieces. It is surprisingly relaxing!

      Good luck on you Lego hunt!!

      Delete
  2. Are the Backgammon pieces bakelite? If they are, they will be worth quite a bit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know!!! How do you tell??

      Delete
    2. I researched how to tell and did the409 test. They are not Bakelite.

      Delete
  3. Well, it was worth a shot. I think most of the bakelite backgammon pieces are a butterscotch color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I have! It is a money maker indeed. I sold a set role playing game buildings, not even the people just the buildings for 100+ bucks once! Thanks for linking up I love to read how people find and sell treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Selling game pieces is always a great idea, especially if you have kids. They are ALWAYS loosing pieces! Nice find and flip!

    ReplyDelete