Thursday, July 17, 2014

Estate Sale: How I Spent $50.00

This weekend, our church had an estate sale in their basement. The belongings were that of a member who recently went to live with family members and Maine. Her family had already gone through everything that they wanted and decided to donate the rest of the items to the church and all proceeds from the sale will go to the church.

Last thing I need to do is to go to an estate sale, thrift store, or Goodwill and spend more money. But, I am weak, I admit it. I had to go.

I went Sunday after church and pick the items that I wanted. I put them in the cleaning closet so I could pick them up later on this week and that was yesterday.

Here are a few pictures of the items that I picked up at the estate sale. I was able to get most of them listed yesterday. This was made easier by the fact that they were multiples. The blue glasses each design had 12 and a set. So there were 12 cordials, 12 sherbets, 12 goblets, and 12 tumblers.

The pattern is Indiana teal blue king crown thumbprint glassware.
I have them listed in sets of two with prices ranging from $19.99 to $24.99 with free shipping.

Next I listed Warren Kimble coastal breeze by Sakura dinnerware.

These are listed BIN with prices ranging from 19.99 to 29.99 includes free shipping. The prices might be a bit high, but the dinnerware is heavy and I need to make sure I can cover the shipping.

Of course ther are mugs. I think the most interesting one is the National Security Agency one. I priced that higher at $34.99 as it is a bit unusual and hard to find.

The needlepoint is beautiful, and then there is the vintage ice bucket! I love it, it's round and has penguins on it.
There are a few more items to get listed. Several Revereware pots and pans and about three really heavy forks. I have no knowledge on flatware so this will take some research. A couple of vintage scarves and a cross stitch table cloth. I will get those listed and share with you. **Here is the last bit of the haul**

Over all, I think it was a pretty good haul for $50.00!!

6 comments:

  1. Lisa, it looks like you definitely got your money's worth from the sale! When you sell dinner plates, how do you package them? I sold 4 heavy Dansk plates a while ago and sent them in a large flat rate priority box. I put styrofoam all around the sides and bubble wrapped each plate. They were in there really tight. I worried a little but they got to NY in one piece. I have a big set of Staffordshire blue calico dinnerware that I'm thinking of selling, but the thought of shipping it paralyzes me. Then I'm also afraid I'll be stuck with all the cups and saucers. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine,
      I typically use the flat rate ( large) for dinner plates. I use bubble wrap ( each plate) and then a piece of foam or cardboard in between each plate. I have not tried the pool noodles yet for more protection, but I will when I remember to buy the darn things.

      I also stuff lots of newspaper in the voids ( under plate rim and between plates) for more stability. I then use more newspaper and or packing peanuts to fill box very snuggly.

      I need to explore using regular boxes for shipping but I have not figured out the sizes I need.

      What it boils down to is I have no real advice lol! But so far this has worked.

      Now, if someone orders more than what I can fit into one box, well.... I don't know. :-)

      Delete
  2. You did great! If you aren't able to figure out the flatware pattern, go to replacements.com. If you send them pictures, measurements, and any text written on the pieces, they will do the research and identify it for you for free. It usually takes them 2-3 days to get back to you with the info. I don't use it all the time, but every once in a while when I get a tricky one, I let them do the heavy work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberly,
      Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that replacements did that. I have a bag of flatware that I need to start working on.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun time for a good cause! I love selling multiples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anny,

      Multiples makes list go by so much quicker!!

      Delete