Monday, July 21, 2014

Money Monday: Slow.....but Steady

I have been steady listing, but I know I can do better. I have about 120ish free listings left for this month and I am going to try like heck to use them all up. That will get me pretty close to 700 items listed.

In order to work eBay more like a business than a "hobby" I will be keeping track of my actual eBay time I spend listing, packing and cleaning. Trying to avoid the distractions of working from home is not always so easy.

My plan is going to be to document by signing in and out on a piece of paper ( just to keep me honest) when I am working and when I am at lunch, etc.

This morning was moderately successful. After a two mile walk at 6:00 AM, I came home, fixed breakfast and started to work at 8:00. I finished out the morning with listing and packing until 12:00.

Then is was time to get cleaned up, load of car to go to post office and run a couple of other errands too. I think I can get in another solid hour this evening.

I think this little experiment will help me be better organized and more productive.

My sales for the last two weeks are slow but consistent. There were a couple of good sales. I posted pictures below.

Here are the numbers for the last two weeks:

Active listings: 574 (512-two weeks ago)
Items listed last two weeks :62

Cost of items sold: $13.00
Number of sales: 14
Total sales: 353.00

Amount spent on new inventory for two weeks: $75.00
Average selling price: $25.00
International sales: 5
Returns: 1
Feedback: all positive this week


Who knew Bicycle shirts were so valuable? Goodwill for $2.99. Best offer of $80.00 FS



 

I found this Chinese dictionary at GoodWill for $1.99. It sold for $93.99 buyer paid shipping. I estimated the price. I saw some on Amazon for about 60.00 bucks. I just decided to go for it and list it high. You never know....
 

 

Mug flip of the week. I found this Dracula mug at a local Thrift for 0.50 cents. Sold for 24.99 FS

 

And yes, another $1.49 care bear sold. And now it is on its way to Norway!

 

 

Hope you all had a great week of sales!

 

 

12 comments:

  1. I sold 3 yards of fabric for $250. That was my only sale, but I don't have much listed. I have more of it & the buyer wants to buy it, too. We haven't negotiated anything.

    I need to look up bicycle shirts. Learn a lot from you! I never look at sporting area clothes.

    I had a buyer contact me & he was charged handling in his own country... in these buyer controlled eBay days, would you refund him the handling? I'm now including "buyer responsible for any extra import or handling fees upon delivery" in my listing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great sale on the fabric! Amazing! Check the children's rack for the bike shirts. they are so lightweight and colorful that they are often mistaken for kids tops.

      Regarding the handling fees: Was that the customs charge? If he is emailing you through eBay to request this refund, I would contact eBay.
      He is responsible for the customs charges or fees. Not you.
      If the conversation is documented through eBay, then you are protected. I would definitely give eBay customer service a call.

      Keep us posted!!!

      Delete
  2. Great sales! That bicycle shirt was a great find. I know these shirts are great sellers but I can never find any. I'll have to add the Chinese-English dictionary to my BOLO list - I would never have thought it'd would sell for so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check the children's clothes rack for the bike shirts. They are lightweight, graphically colorful and can sometimes be mistaken for a child's shirt.

      The Chinese English dictionary..... who knew??? It is amazing what people will pay.

      Delete
  3. Great flips Lisa!! I would have never thought to pick up the Chinese Dictionary either. I sold some wallpaper today after I got an email from someone who said they'd buy it if it was $5 less. So I marked it down and she bought it. Yay! It's gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wallpaper? That is great! It amazes me what we can sell on eBay!

      Delete
  4. That Dracula mug is ugly! I'm glad you don't have it anymore LOL

    Nice sales and I wish you luck with your time keeping :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am glad that the Dracula mug is gone. The timekeeping thing is a challenge. Lol!

      Delete
  5. Nice sales. I picked up a Russian/English dictionary out of the free bin once and ended up getting $20, it was old and worn. Your Chinese Dictionary looks and did great!! I'll have to keep an eye out for biking shirts. I have sold several pairs of pants so I guess it would only be natural for shirts to do well also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check the children's rack for the bike shirts. They are lightweight and colorful. Sometimes mistaken for children's tops.

      I will be picking up language dictionary's from now on!

      Delete
  6. Holy cow! I will be looking for bicycle shirts! I think you have a great plan, and like you, I like to keep myself honest. Although we don't have control over everything, we know that by and large, the more we list, the more we sell. By posting our numbers each week, it motivates us to work harder. We want them to be as good as possible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know!!! Who knew bicycle shirts were so profitable?? Not me. But, now I look for them all the time. You are doing great on your numbers Kim!

    ReplyDelete